In a first for the Camerosity Podcast, we finally dive into the wonderful world of Graflex press cameras and other 4×5 cameras. If you thought Camerosity only meant 35mm, medium format roll film, and subminis, this is the episode that will shake up everything you know about us!
For episode 43, we had a packed house (although there was one significant omission). Joining the gang on this show was first time caller, and owner of Graflex Parts, Graham Burnett, along with Andy Pham, Daniel Belmes, Eric J, Greg McCreash, Howard Sandler, Jess Hobbs, Marcy Merrill, Mario Piper and his wife Julianne Piper, Mark Faulkner, Nick Marshall, Patrick Casey, and Robert Rotoloni.
Together, topics ranging far and wide from the history of Folmer & Schwing, the company who made the first Graphic cameras, to differences between all the models, where to start if you’ve never shot a Graflex before, development tips, and all sorts of information that people who love these cameras want you to know. In addition to discussions about Graflex press cameras, we also get into a few other 4×5 cameras like the Busch Pressman and Burke & James versions. Greg McCreash is back to talk about his massive Combat Graflex, and we even touch upon some of the 35mm Graflex cameras.
As always, the topics we discuss on the Camerosity Podcast are influenced by you! We would love to hear from more listeners, especially those who are new to shooting film or collecting cameras. Please don’t feel like you have to be an expert on a specific type of camera, or have the level of knowledge on par with other people on the show. We LOVE people who are new to shooting and are interested in having an episode dedicated to people new to the hobby, so please don’t consider your knowledge level to be a prerequisite for joining!
The guys and I rarely know where each episode is going to go until it happens, so if you’d like to join us on a future episode, be sure to look out for our show announcements on our Camerosity Podcast Facebook page, and right here on mikeeckman.com. We usually record every other Monday and announcements, along with the Zoom link are typically shared 2-3 days in advance.
The guys and I have had a great time talking about Graflex, Argus, Contax, and Pentax, and for our next episode, we are going to divert a bit from our regular format and just discuss what we’ve been working on lately and some topics we’d like to share with you all, so there won’t be any option to dial in for the next episode. Maybe we’ll still have a special guest for you, maybe not! You’ll just need to stay tuned for that one.
We will resume our normal call in for episode 45 though, which we will record on Monday, March 20th. We don’t yet know what we’ll talk about then, but be sure to stay tuned for the official announcement!
This Week’s Episode
- How Paul Ended Up with a Closet Full of Graflex / The Baffling Array of Variations
- Anthony Takes the Leap Into Press Cameras with His Graflex Super Graphic
- Differences Between the Speed vs Crown Graphic
- Graham Burnett of graflexparts.com Dives Deep into the Graflex Lineage
- What Does Graflex Parts Do for the Graflex Community?
- Folmer & Schwing and the Bicycle Graphic
- The Complicated Rise of the Single Lens Reflex Graflex
- The Many Sizes of Film for Graflex / The Evolution of Graflex Film Backs
- Eric J and his F&S / Bicycle Camera Bicycle Touring with Graflex
- Andy Pham and Concert Photography with his AutoGraflex 5×7 SLR
- Luis Mendez and Graflex Street Portraits in NYC
- Keeping Pre-war Graflex Cameras Up and Running
- Howard and his Graflex Monorail Graphic View Camera
- Julianne Piper, Shooting Paper Negatives in an Array of Graflex Cameras
- The LomoGraflock vs Polaroid backs
- Advantages of Crown vs Speed Graphic as a First Graflex
- Demystifying Graflex Lens Options
- Using Projector and Brass Lenses with Graflex
- Graflex at War / The Post-war Decline of Graflex
- Other Press Cameras / Busch Pressman / Burke & James Press Cameras
- Nick Marshall and His Series D 3×4 / Shooting Speed Graphic with Instax
- Developing 4×5 at Home
- Jess Hobbs and Adventures with 4×5 with Her Intrepid / 4×5 Film Options
- Daniel B and Shooting a Graflex Super D / Enlarging Graflex as 11×14 Large Format
- Greg McCreash and the Combat Graflex
- Mario Asks is Graflex is Making a Resurgence? / What is the Appeal of Shooting Large Format?
- Eric Mathy on the Appeal of Large Format to the Tinkerer and the Artist
- Mike Eckman and the Graflex Graphic 35 Jet
If you would like to offer feedback or contact us with questions or ideas for future episodes, please contact us in the Comments Section below, our Camerosity Facebook Group or Instagram page, or email us at [email protected].
The Official Camerosity Facebook Group – https://www.facebook.com/groups/camerositypodcast
Camerosity Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/camerosity_podcast/
Camerosity Twitter – https://twitter.com/CamerosityPod
Graham Burnett, Graflex Parts – https://www.graflexparts.com/
Jess Hobbs – https://www.youtube.com/c/JessHobbs
Erik Mathy, All Through a Lens – https://allthroughalens.com/
Theo Panagopoulos – https://www.photothinking.com/
Camerosity can also be heard on the following services: